PDA

View Full Version : Oil expansion

Milktoast
10-10-2008, 05:40 AM
Anyone know what the expansion rate of vo is?

I ask because when I heat my vo in my feeder tank for my centrifuge AND when I fill my fuel tank to high, the oil will overflow the fuel tank and the feeder tank will appear to have "more" oil in it.

I'd like to know what the rate is so I can know how much to fill my fuel tank before it will over flow when the oil is at full temp.

Odd One
10-10-2008, 06:17 PM
I gain about 2 inches in a 55 gallon drum heating from room temp to 160deg. Not very scientific, but I always take it into account.

muleears
10-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Same here, 2" in a 55gal. drum. The drum is 36in. tall so that boils down to 1" every 18" of drum or 1/18. So using this cockeyed math for every 18" of oil heated you will add 1" of oil due to expansion.

I only fill my drum to about the 50 gal level, which I figure is around the 32" level in the drum. This would mean that 1" equals 1.56 gal. of oil in my drum. So if I am adding 2" by heating that would be the equivalent of over 3 gal. more oil... interesting. So if heating turns 50gal into 53gal. that is an increase of 6%. I'm assuming were adding @100*F to the oil. More heat differential would probably make a bigger difference. So it looks like heating oil, in the range we would use, adds about 6% volume. So when we pump 10gal of cold oil into our fuel tank we actually burn 10.6gal due to the heat of expansion. Another advantage of heating:D

Someone check my math I may have cranial rectal syndrome here:eek:

veggiesel
10-12-2008, 04:17 AM
I also get about a 2" rise in my heating drum (55 gal). But you should not get this much expansion in your fuel tank as you should just be heating a small amount of oil in your fuel tank, so you would have a lot less expansion in your fuel tank. If you are by chance heating your entire fuel (VO) tank, you are creating problems.:D:D:D

skyskijason
10-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Same here, 2" in a 55gal. drum. The drum is 36in. tall so that boils down to 1" every 18" of drum or 1/18. So using this cockeyed math for every 18" of oil heated you will add 1" of oil due to expansion.

I only fill my drum to about the 50 gal level, which I figure is around the 32" level in the drum. This would mean that 1" equals 1.56 gal. of oil in my drum. So if I am adding 2" by heating that would be the equivalent of over 3 gal. more oil... interesting. So if heating turns 50gal into 53gal. that is an increase of 6%. I'm assuming were adding @100*F to the oil. More heat differential would probably make a bigger difference. So it looks like heating oil, in the range we would use, adds about 6% volume. So when we pump 10gal of cold oil into our fuel tank we actually burn 10.6gal due to the heat of expansion. Another advantage of heating:D

Someone check my math I may have cranial rectal syndrome here:eek:

No, no, I think you're on to something here. How far can we take this? So, if 50 gals turns into 53 gals w/a 100* rise, then 200* rise would equal 56 gals or a 12% gain in free, free-fuel. Awesome! So, by adding some OTC fuel additives that increase milage by up to 15% and installing some known mpg improving parts/mods like removing the exhaust system and poking a hole in the air filter and of course the chrome to HP conversion factor, etc.... anyway, what combo do ya think we need to get the most miles out of a given # of gals of 'cold' VO?? :confused:

Damn, to think I've been 'wasting' oil all this time... :(

muleears
10-12-2008, 08:14 AM
I also get about a 2" rise in my heating drum (55 gal). But you should not get this much expansion in your fuel tank as you should just be heating a small amount of oil in your fuel tank, so you would have a lot less expansion in your fuel tank. If you are by chance heating your entire fuel (VO) tank, you are creating problems.:D:D:D

You don't need to heat the whole tank. All the oil you burn is heated eventually isn't it? It would just need to be hot (and expanded) when it hits the IP.

tacit_k
10-12-2008, 08:37 AM
I fill my 60 gallon tank with about 55 or so gallons some times I get a little overflow but not often and not much. I think most of it has to do with sloshing on hard corners.

and of course the chrome to HP conversion factor, etc.... :(

Jason you did not get the memo? Chrome no longer increases horsepower, decals do!:rolleyes:

Odd One
10-13-2008, 07:21 AM
the chrome to HP conversion factor

But my truck is cammo, does that mean that my milage is not going to be as good...... or do I just get the wimpy green factor to play with:D But the whole truck is a giant sticker, so I should be making gobs of power.