PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight "Chicago" 01479 Rotary pump

Tom Yaz
10-07-2005, 04:40 PM
I bought one of these and cant get it to draw. Spec says lift is 10' So Im thinking it can draw up water? Go to the instructions and it says "make sure inlet is beneath surface of the water" So that implies it cant draw and has to be gravity fed. :confused:

DieselBurps
10-07-2005, 06:42 PM
It may not be self priming. Also - it could be another one of those rotor/vane pumps that cannot handle the viscousity of WVO very well. A decent gyrotor pump should have no problems pushing the WVO.

VeggieRanger
10-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Tim,

I'm pretty sure that's the pump that's used in the open-source appleseed biodiesel processor so it should be fine. Take some of the VO you want to pump and put it in a cup. Loosen the top hose and pour some in there. Put the hose back on and crank her up!

Here's the pump I ordered. I guess it is moot though since most of the HF pump stuff is on backorder 'til November from the fuel crunch.

ITEM 42896-0VGA 1'', 1/2 HP SELF PRIMING PUMP

Right now, I'm using hand barrel pumps from HF to filter and fill my tank. It's good exercise! I just came in from the garage from dewatering and filtering 45 gallons of WVO to 1 micron. I also just loaded oil in the dewaterer from a new source: a high end seafood restaurant. It's the prettiest soybean oil I've seen yet!

ITEM 34679-0VGA Self Priming Barrel Pump

VR

mm0015
10-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Is this a rotary barrel pump? Those are all self priming, I believe. It may have meant in the troubleshooting to check to make sure the pickup tube/hose was submerged so that it cannot suck in any air.

My barrel pump would not prime at first either. I discovered I had an air leak in the pickup tube due to poor fitting pieces. I tightened them and then they worked. Here is an easy way to test for an air leak:

Hook a hose to the outlet and put it in a bucket with water (or WVO). Crank the pump and the outlet hose should blow bubbles. Some air is normal, but it should only be able to blow as much air as is contained in the pump and hoses. If it continually blows air, you have a leak somewhere on the suction side of the pump. If no air bubbles and it is not pumping fluid, you either have a broken pump, or it is not self-priming.

VeggieRanger
10-07-2005, 07:46 PM
110V electric:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1479

VR

Foiled
10-07-2005, 08:02 PM
I had the same problem with my Chicago 01479 pump. I had trouble after several attempts using water. Finally, I filled the suction pipe full of water and, (contrary to the instructions) kept it running even though it was not pumping. It took a while but it started working. Make sure the primer is full before you start. I'm wondering how well it will work with WVO. I plan on placing this pump lower than the level of the WVO that it will be pumping from, this way the pump should stay primed. Good luck.
Kurt

cgoodwin
10-08-2005, 07:10 AM
I use this same pump, once it is primed and running it is great, if you get any air in you are in a mess, If I did not already have it I would chuck it in the trash and get a self priming pump.

Chris

Bobc
10-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Any suggestions on which pumps?? Maybe prices and part nos. Thanks in advance.

Tom Yaz
10-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Well I tried again; no go--chuckin in the trash is the next step.

cgoodwin
10-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Tom, the only way to get it to work is fill the suction line with fluid and open the bleeder until it flows out, then make sure you do not get any air bubbles. I hate this pump with a passion. Even after I located it as the lowest point in my system and bled it, I still have to switch the power from on to off every 5 seconds for about 3 minutes before it begins flowing, once it is going it is great but I could ladel it with a tea spoon with less effort!

Tom Yaz
10-10-2005, 04:44 AM
Screw it Chris, not worth the trouble. Im just going to use a rotary pum. Beside I could always use the exercise.