HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Engine Specific Information > Large truck & Bus specific conversion information
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Frybrid RV?

Hi All,

I know I may seem a bit Wack-O, but I have now gone from wanting to convert a tiny 3 cylinder, diesel SmartCar, to the other extreme.

I want to convert a big 40’ diesel RV to Veggie.

My SmartCar venture has proven almost impossible to make happen – but the last nail in the coffin was that while I may have been able to smuggle a used diesel Smart in from Canada, the dollar is so week right now that it would cost me well over $25K – and I just don’t think it is worth that.

On the other hand, I have not seen a nice, full size RV running on veg, so I don’t know where to get the answers to my basic question.

My question to the forum is this: What type of RV diesel engine should I look for when shopping around for an RV? I see many different types, including a wide variety of Cummins and Caterpillar engines.

I don’t know one from the next, and I especially have no clue what the implications are for converting one engine over another in terms of WVO.

Does Frybrid even make components that will handle these large engines? I assume the Gen3 controller will work, but the solenoid valves?

Any sound advice regarding these big engines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!

Stevels

PS, I got my Diesel Listeroid engine running for the first time today. Yipeee!! Veggie conversion coming soon.

• WVO Listeroid Genset
  • WVO Home Fuel Oil Burner

Please Note: Spelling and gramatical errors found in my posts are part of the natural and expressive "forum process" and enhance the richness and character of the entire experience. They should not be regarded as "flaws", but rather, unique, natural "fingerprints".
Old 06-14-2006, 03:57 AM

Default camper

I know chris was working on transforming a tour bus into a living quarters run on veggie oil. I haven't seen any updates as of now but there are some pics under gallery. It is pretty cool. I think that you will only need to work with the injection pump. Everything else should work the same except having a larger tank.

DK
Old 06-14-2006, 05:34 AM

Yes Doug, I have seen the pics of Chris' 85 NeoPlan. It looks way cool! What I want to do is convert a "diesel pusher" RV to veg, since I am not capable of converting a bus to a viable RV.

I am hoping that our fellow Forumers can advise me on the concerns of running Veg Oil on these big 8 liter and larger engines that are found in these things. My concern is that I may inadvertantly but a $90K RV, only to find it has some feature that makes it most unsuitable for a Frybrid conversion.

Thanks for the reply Doug!

Stevels
  • WVO Listeroid Genset

Please Note: Spelling and gramatical errors found in my posts are part of the natural and expressive "forum process" and enhance the richness and character of the entire experience. They should not be regarded as "flaws", but rather, unique, natural "fingerprints".
Old 06-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Look, if you have 90K to spend you should have no fear of converting a bus. Even with half that you can get a bus.
A motorhome, even a very expensive pusher is a truck chassis with a deck on it, to this flatbed they build a skeleton from 1x2 lumber, then glue wood panel to the inside and glue plastic panels to the outside and fill the voids with spray foam. Any healthy person with a good pair of boots could walk right through the side. Further the roof is vynal and designed to last about 5 years. PLEASE do not waste you money. If you are serious I will personally help you find a worthy vehicle. Many old engineers buy buses and convert them to motorhomes late in life, only to pass on after only a trip or two. I recently found a 40' MCI8 fully converted to a motorhome with generator, inverter, battery bank, kitchen, full bath, etc. and the widow was selling it for 30K.

Is it possible? Oh yes. I met Forest Gregg when he came to my shop in a converted 40' International school bus fitted with a Int. 9.0. Parked in front of my shop now is a 37' Gillig bus being converted to VO and it is maybe half converted into a RV. I have sold 3 systems to buses converted to RV's and another for a mobile food bank, all were running large diesels, most were older 2 strokes like mine. You need a different filter and some other modifications but nothing too frightening. You will not be the first but you will, be one of the few.

Another advantage is that you can filter on the fly since you have all the room in the world under the bus for tanks. Hey just remembered I know where you can get a Greyhound "Sceniccruiser" converted into a motorhome and one of the bays opens and out rolls a Honda 600 convertable car....

Aren't vehicles fun!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:52 AM

I would be very interested in your opinion of what to get. While I now feel confident that I could convert an RV to Veggie, I know nothing about the carpentry, plumbing and electric required to make an RV, and I would not want my own to be the experimental version. Knowing me, I would cross the Black water with the fresh water and my coffee would taste like crap!

Are you in the know of any nice pre made conversions you would recommend for both a FryBrid conversion and good luxury RVing? While I am happy living in a hovel, dining on my own feces, my German wife is “of impeccable standards”. I would love to spend $30K and not $90K, as for $90K, I would have to do a home equity loan – which I want to avoid. I know Wifey insists on a built in washer/dryer and I insist on a wet bar J

If I end up going forward, I will want to do the Frybrid thaaang, so please confirm with me that you are confident I can get appropriate components. I am most concerned about the tank, since I can not TIG weld one myself. Do you fabricate custom large ass tanks?

Thanks again Chris!
  • WVO Listeroid Genset

Old 06-14-2006, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Have to get my daughter off to the park and school. Will respond later today...Don't let me forget and bump this post to the top if you don't hear from me today.

CG
Old 06-16-2006, 08:46 PM

and another link to coach bus RVs.
Damit, I shouldn't have started looking at these. I wonder if one of these will pull my horse trailer?

2008 Ford CC shortbed F-250 King Ranch
Vegistroke V3 with 3k miles
Old 06-17-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Subtle cues?

Thanks for your candid response Chris. Taking the liberty to interpret a bit “between the lines”, I get the slight impression from you, that you are not particularly fond of RVs?

You have put the fear of God in me, and I will now be looking only at busses / coaches.

I appreciate the links you guys are putting out there too! I have seen most of Ebay’s offerings, but these other links are an entirely new world to me.

I am not sure if this RV/bus thing will become a reality, as my wife is now saying she would prefer a new kitchen to an RV, but if I can get my way, I will be posting questions about a Frybrid Bus conversion within the next month or so!
  • WVO Listeroid Genset

Old 06-29-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Bussing

Hi Forum,

I am getting more serious about my Frybrid / RV interest.

I am now actively looking for a decent bus/coach conversion that meets my needs.

I would like to spend around $30K for a good, mechanically sound conversion, with a decent engine, automatic tranny, decent electrical and sound plumbing. I don’t mind having to update the interior cosmetically, or replace cabinets and sinks and some furniture. Additionally, on the other end of the spectrum, if there is a great deal out there on a super, newer bus, I could spend $100K – assuming it is being sold by some desperate seller who needs cash. ( It would have to be really worth far more than $100K)

I am hoping that you Forumers may know of something that may fit either of these descriptions. If so, and you don’t want to buy it yourself, could you pass along the reference to your friend Stevie?

Also, a question for Chris: Can I order components suitable for a Frybrid bus conversion? What about the tank? I would want to do at least 55 gallons, probably double that? How much would it cost, and how long are we looking at for shipping?

Thanks all for any help you may be able to provide. My kids and wife and I would love to cruise around the US on waste Veggie Oil!

• WVO Listeroid Genset

Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Administrator

How many kids do you have?