HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Conversion Databases > In progress conversions
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 AM

Default 1980 300D "Benza Jr."

Hello! I started converting the Benz last weekend. I didn't get very far because I ran into a few obstacles. Here's a list of what I did get done and then I'll discuss the obstacles.

1. I mounted the plastic WVO tank on the driver's side back seat. The coolant supply line comes in on the left side of the tank, flowing through a straight copper pipe, exiting on the right back to the coolant return.

2. I ran a HOH (Hose on Hose) by drilling a small hole through the front of the tank and running a PEX hose into the tank, then wrapping it around the coolant supply with foam insulation around it to keep it hot. I ran all three of these hoses through the firewall and into the engine compartment. I still need to drill one more hole in the tank and run one more hose for the WVO return, which is imperative.

3. Once I got these hoses to the engine bay, I realized I needed to tee in the coolant supply and return lines. The problem here was that I found many hoses under the hood and wasn't quite sure what was what. I did some research online afterward and figured it out.

My other obstacle at this time is that the stock Diesel Filter is placed between the mechanical fuel pump and the injection pump. I need to have it be before my Solenoid valves so no veggie gets into the stock filter, which is not heated.

Next course of action: Connect the coolant lines, mount the WVO filter and wrap it in coolant, mount the Solenoid Valves (A for supply and B for return) and wire my switch to the valves and battery. I'm not using a fuel level sending unit, so that eliminates some wiring headaches.

I'll post another entry when I've made some more progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benzajrtank.jpg (26.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg benzajr1.jpg (50.9 KB, 174 views)

'03 Jetta Greasecar "Maverick"

100k miles

Tags
300d, benz, diy, mercedes, wvo