HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Technical discussion
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Cool, well I was looking through the KLM site and they claim FASS to have a lifetime warranty for diesel and VO just the same. That is good to hear, and considering it is 200 dollars less than the Pure Flow, that is good news. Still a long way from now until things pick up, but good to know it is there.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Still, to make it work with WVO you may have to invest in two pumps unless you don't mind running around on diesel for months at a time while one is at the shop under their warranty.
05 2500 140" sprinter van w/ v3 frybrid kit
08 Laser Pro #194171

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

http://www.mackconsult.com/

Someday I will sell everything, invest in a cal 40 or a cascade 36 sailboat, then turn left at the Columbia River Bar .
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Still, to make it work with WVO you may have to invest in two pumps unless you don't mind running around on diesel for months at a time while one is at the shop under their warranty.
I second that. i have a spare fass hpfp however the one i have on there is the longest ive had one last. its the new round head style. i put it on in August 2010. im sure i just jinxed myself

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter
DIY FrybriStroke - 90K on WVO since 2007
Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 AM

Talking Stock fuel pump?

Powerstrokers, I just read this entire thread. I understand the FASS pump. I have been part of two conversions using them. One is a vegistroke system been on the truck 5 years no issue, except the pressure switch they provided never working and having to run the veg system all the time. Been blending for 2 years, 330K on the truck. It amazes me. Another truck is one I consulted on and told him to take a 99=03 superduty electric fuel pump and a FASS on veg. So far so good on that truck, one year in. Both pumps push through filters and a valve controls the return.

I am setting up to do this on another truck. Picked up a 5spd ex cab 95 4x4 spewing fuel from the lift pump (big puddles). Not the prettiest truck but for 2500$! (with two new batteries that day) we couldn't pass it up. So far we have taken out the mechanical pump and plugged the block. We did a tight wad mod and chopped/modified the stock regulator cutting out all the crap and tapping the hole where the fuel screen was. We got a 99-03 superduty electric fuel pump ebay 175$ (same price as a mechanical) and put it on the frame rail. Built a filter bracket and mounted a spin on filter in the valley. New braided stainless hoses to the heads in the back. The return is as normal just chopped regulator also sitting in the valley. All in all we fixed the massive fuel leak and prepped the truck for a dual electric pump conversion. 250$

Phase 2
Next plan is veg system. My plan is to find a cheap aluminum tank used, cut it and weld in a heat exchanger. I hope to do this for under 500$
Two heat exchangers one between tank and fuel pump/filter setup, and one after right before engine. 350$
One valve after regulator to control return with timer 150$
Fuel lines/Coolant lines/Insulation/Fittings/Electrical/etc 200$?
Heated electric spin on filer 140$

Total so far 1300-1500$

FUEL PUMP?????? I have been looking into this for a month or so. I don't want to be a companies test subject for 450$. I have read everybody's comment on FASS. If I am going to spend the money I want a warranty and really no problems. Sounds like a heater wrap and one FASS pump could work without problems. It also sounds like it would be nice to have spare to switch out if there were problems and it had to shipped somewhere. Too much money for me to go that route. My experience tells me another super duty pump like the one I bought already for 175$ would not last very long. I am sure it would work but I can think of better ways to waste my money. Anybody got a used FASS for sale? Any comments on Air Dog or Raptor? I just want the fuel pump not the filter combo. I just thought to myself, I should try to locate a local FASS dealer/shop and just be honest what i am doing and hopefully they will back me and help me if I need a replacement. I do most of my own work, but purchasing locally can be a big help when it comes to service. All in all I am hoping to be into the conversion for 2000$.
Any comments, advice, opinions would be appreciated.

Powerstroke 223k for 2500$
Veg Kit 2000$
Fuel System 250$
New Tires 800$
Another 450$ in general stuff, and we will have a sweet truck on veg that should be dependable for many years all for 6000$.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM

airdog/raptor not enough pressure for a psd.

your paying way to much for a powerstroke pump! There are bosch pumps for just under a hundred on ebay all day long. Guys have had the stock bosch pump a long time on vo. The key is to not restrict in the vacuum side to much. So put on a spin on 140 micron like the FS1023 and call it good. Mine lasted 10k miles but i was sucking through a 2 micron racor.

I think skyskijason had his last like 70k miles!!! for 100 dollar replacement you cant go wrong. if i didnt already have the extra fass i had i would have put on a regular bosch psd pump on my current project F350.

why not just use one heat exchanger and a hotfox or equivalent heated pick up? if you put your spare in the bed an excursion tank where the spare goes is also nice.

AJ

Last edited by ajohansson; 03-20-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Find me a pump for 100$ and I will buy it. I searched all over ebay. How long has it been since you bought a pump? I see they used to sell for that price but like everything prices go up. Cheapest I found was 167$ Two of those pumps almost buy a FASS.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdrluvr View Post
Find me a pump for 100$ and I will buy it. I searched all over ebay. How long has it been since you bought a pump? I see they used to sell for that price but like everything prices go up. Cheapest I found was 167$ Two of those pumps almost buy a FASS.
So glad you made me do this as I just bought one of these for 50 bucks!!! Made in the USA!! I couldn't find the bosch one but I paid i think 89 for it a few months back. They do show up on here. But can't go wrong with made in the use for 50 bucks!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FUEL-PUM...ht_2032wt_1219

Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM

wow, i searched everywhere. My local Ford dealer wanted 500$ for an electric pump for a 99. The scrap yard wanted 100$ for a used. A mechanical priced out at 175 so I thought we were doing alright. Might have to buy a couple of those, thanks for the link.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

when my non warranty fass dies i think i may just try one of these and see what i can get out of it!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 PM

I was going to install the FASS pump with heater tonight when the boy took a spill. Maybe Friday night

05 2500 140" sprinter van w/ v3 frybrid kit
08 Laser Pro #194171

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

http://www.mackconsult.com/

Someday I will sell everything, invest in a cal 40 or a cascade 36 sailboat, then turn left at the Columbia River Bar .