HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Legal issues
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 AM

Default Is it possible to run a company on WVO?

I have limo company in the Rocky Mountains. All limo companies in the region use large SUVs to drive guests to and from airports and hotels. Everyone in the area, including me, is very earth conscious so I have considered converting a 2003 7.3L Excursion Limited to run on WVO. I'm sure I'll get community support, but I am worried about the legal implications. Are there any other companies out there who have found a way to get around the state and federal department of revenue as well as the EPA?

I am willing to work with others to figure out how to get their company vehicles to legally run on WVO. We all know that this should be legal and I am willing to lobby for this cause. Any suggestions or ideas are very, very welcome.

Thanks,

Derek
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM

home brew bio-d is legal?

i thought that was only if you buy from approved sellers, meeting the ASTM standard (which costs more than pump D2). i could surely brew up a batch and accidentally drop a quart of drano in there, what would that do to the emmisions??

you need to check your local laws, i think its very feasible to run your Ex on wvo (or home brew bio d) without raising the brows of your local gov't. in most states its somewhat of a gray area, as in dont ask. One thing to consider is the road tax, most states now have provisions for paying the small per gallon fee for those running alternative fuels.

its funny that ive seen countless F350's running around Atlanta with "This Vehicle Runs of Waste Vegetable Oil" plastered all over it. Far as I know, authorities havent paid it much attention. Whos to say how long that "loop hole" will remain open, though. In the UK, they actually have traffic cops walking around with sniffers, and fine the ever living hell out of people running their diesels on WVO.

if you are truley concerned about being "green", you wont find much data on the emission levels of running wvo (esp. in your specific vehicle). some reports state its lower in most categories, but ive also read 1 which claims much higher carcenogenic levels. As with D2 exhaust, common sense dictates it wouldnt be intelligent to breath the exhaust in confined spaces. The wvo exhaust from my 87 300D smells horrid, and thats probably a good indicator that it isnt good for you.

If it were me, I would check local laws, and if nothing was glaring, I'd just go for it. But not advertise the fact.

PS - my brother is an environmental lawyer in Denver. If you want me to get him to help I can certainly ask. Paul@GruvenParts.com
87 300D turbo, Frybrid Kit INSTALLED!! 12/9/06.
Get some, OPEC!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Brendan C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTlimo View Post
Are there any other companies out there who have found a way to get around the state and federal department of revenue as well as the EPA?
Derek,
I know this business is located in NY but it may be worth your while to see what kind of process they went through, if any.

www.meangreentrucking.com/
Old 10-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Nope, there is currently no legal way to do it. You simply have to lie and cheat to do something good for the environment.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:54 AM

So there is no legal way to to good things which beneficial for everyone here.
You have to convince the authorities by personally offering bribery and providing some permanent share in the company as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 PM

Default Re;

it's called by the authorities, the "black market", the real term is "free" market...join the party
Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 PM

The short answer to the "get around the state and federal dept. of rev as well as EPA" - NO. A few areas to research for CO: How much tax on a gal of Bio or D2; what licenses and reporting forms are needed to sell fuel; who to pay the tax collected; consult a tax accountant to set the new company. As weird as CA is, it is possible to sell VO, collect the state and fed tax, get the specific tax license. Know the rules to the game, follow them and you'll be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTlimo View Post
I have limo company in the Rocky Mountains. All limo companies in the region use large SUVs to drive guests to and from airports and hotels. Everyone in the area, including me, is very earth conscious so I have considered converting a 2003 7.3L Excursion Limited to run on WVO. I'm sure I'll get community support, but I am worried about the legal implications. Are there any other companies out there who have found a way to get around the state and federal department of revenue as well as the EPA?

I am willing to work with others to figure out how to get their company vehicles to legally run on WVO. We all know that this should be legal and I am willing to lobby for this cause. Any suggestions or ideas are very, very welcome.

Thanks,

Derek
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 PM

That's too bad you're in such an archaic jurisdiction. Here the tax only applies to petro fuels, all non-petro fuels are tax exempt. I got a laugh out of the tax folks commenting that I could run it on unicorn farts if I wanted to, they didn't care.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM

It is not an archaic jurisdiction, it is the EPA. The EPA does not recognize WVO as a fuel and they treat it as though it were off road diesel. You are not supposed to use it on Federal roads i.e. Interstate Federal Highways. Bluebird got a law passed in WA state to make it legal for us to use WVO and home brew BioD for personal use so we do not have to pay the State Road Use Tax in WA. But it is still illegal for us to use the Interstate Highway. By the way Inconu what state are you in and what do you drive?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM

I'm in Northern Canada, and I drive an old diesel Toyota LC pick-up truck. The Territorial jurisdictions consider only petroleum motor fuel as taxable. My apologies for the 'archaic' comment, you're right it's the EPA and it's the law.