HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Fuel mixing / Fuel Blending
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 05:21 PM

[quote=akghound;73570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
On the recommendation of the lab and with the addition of the Oil Guard bypass filter and an Amsoil EaO primary, I am going to send in a sample at 10K to see how it looks.
QUOTE]

Keep very close watch on your oil. I tried this same thing with Schaffer Oil and found the engine oil getting quite thick at about 4-5k miles. That being said, it wasn't much longer until the piston burned, perhaps there is a connection between the thick out and the piston going.
Keep a close watch and please let us know what you find out.
Thanks ... Ken Gardner
ken,

i think your motor already had quite some blow by when you bought yours.
this means that lots more veggie makes it into the crankcase.

if a motor is tight as tight can be, then its almost impossible for veggie to get into the oil.

excessive blowby is a killer for all diesels, run on veggie or not.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Default what ive been doing

what ive got going on is the 40/60, with wvo being filterd down to 5 micron, before i put it in the boat. I have not experienced any problems at start-up, or shut down, and you gotta keep in mind, our average temp. down here is about 85. The VO is always in a liquid state, the only time i get a little extra smoke is when i power up to run home after trolling for 4+ hours. Been changing oil at 70 hrs- we repowered this year- eng. currently has 716hrs, and racors when needed. I have 2 tanks, 50 gal ea., but splitting em would be a huge pain in the ass. 2 900 series racors, and a 2 micron primary on the engine....the engine is a yanmar 6lp-stze 315hp.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman chris View Post
what ive got going on is the 40/60, with wvo being filterd down to 5 micron, before i put it in the boat. I have not experienced any problems at start-up, or shut down, and you gotta keep in mind, our average temp. down here is about 85. The VO is always in a liquid state, the only time i get a little extra smoke is when i power up to run home after trolling for 4+ hours. Been changing oil at 70 hrs- we repowered this year- eng. currently has 716hrs, and racors when needed. I have 2 tanks, 50 gal ea., but splitting em would be a huge pain in the ass. 2 900 series racors, and a 2 micron primary on the engine....the engine is a yanmar 6lp-stze 315hp.
this yanmar is a smoker. the timing in stock configeration is a little retarded the way it seems to me. i have not found out why that is, there must be a reason.

maybe its because this being a 4,2 liter motor, iron head/block pushing it to 315hp, that is asking an awfull lot.

i have seen several run, when idling from a cold start in 80f weather they smoke blue for a very long time. it gets somewhat better when they warm up, but there is always a little blue.
the one motor had only 80 hours or so, so it was basically brandnew and still had the blue smoke.

running pure veggie one can advance the timing about 2 to 4 degrees and this motor i think could handle more.

i got me 2 motors, one is in pieces, that one has a melted a piston. it might have run with too high egt temps, or failed piston cooling. i cant wait to pick it up and take a look.

they sure are sweet motors, i want to put them in a boat soooooooooooo badly but will have to wait till fall.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM

these engines you got come out of a boat? mine smokes just a little in the morning, but not more than any other ulsd2 engine ive seen or run. I been keeping real tight on my oil changes and changing ff's whenever they get shitty. avg on 5 mic. is 60-90 hrs. can you reccomend good outfit for sending oil samples to?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
these engines you got come out of a boat? mine smokes just a little in the morning, but not more than any other ulsd2 engine ive seen or run. I been keeping real tight on my oil changes and changing ff's whenever they get shitty. avg on 5 mic. is 60-90 hrs. can you reccomend good outfit for sending oil samples to?
i have been using,

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

to be honest this blue smoke has me baffled. my 8,3 cummins, mercedes etc all dont smoke at all on idle.
i remember from living in germany that when its bitter cold out diesels can smoke blue on idle, but not in 80f weather.

the yanmar 6lp is also extremely quiet running for a low pressure mechanical direct injected diesel, that was the first clue that i think its timed quite retarded from the factory.

the motors i got came out of a pro cat, i have yet to buy a boat for one. a bayliner 2859 is what i have in mind.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 PM

chriss something came to mind.

the crankcase vent you might want to route differently.

the way its done it dumps the fumes right on the turbo intake. over time it cloggs up the intercooler and requires this special yanmar cleaning solution to clean it out.

if no oil gets in there, then voila you will never have that issue
Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 PM

If i was to rereoute it, any good spots other than low in the bilge? i know what youre talking about, and thats why that foam air cleaner gets fouled after 3 or 400hrs...my budddy has 5.9 cummins hes running 30-40% blend in, he did a cold air box on the outside of his console (its a 31 seavee), and he hasnt had any blowby probs since.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
If i was to rereoute it, any good spots other than low in the bilge? i know what youre talking about, and thats why that foam air cleaner gets fouled after 3 or 400hrs...my budddy has 5.9 cummins hes running 30-40% blend in, he did a cold air box on the outside of his console (its a 31 seavee), and he hasnt had any blowby probs since.
i was thinking about using a through hull fitting, 5/8 or so. but water cant be allowed to come in, so have not quite figured that one out yet.

the simple method is lets say a 2 quart plastic container. fasten the container somewhere away from heat, put the hose in that it barely reaches inside the top. then drill some vent holes in the cap.

thereby your catching whatever liquids come out in the bottle while the gasses can vent to the atmosphere/bilge. my guess its not like gasoline fumes those are a tad flammable.

just dont forget to empty it every once in a while.

i still would rather go through the hull somehow.