HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Technical discussion
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 PM

Default Duramax LB7 Conversion

I need someone to tell me where the best fuel and coolant line access places and hardware to use in converting a Duramax LB7 to a 2 tank system, heating the 2nd tank with coolant. I will only have B100 in the 2nd tank, not WVO. I don't want to run my fuel lines inside the coolant lines as this will over heat the B100. In cold months I will be purging both B100 supply and return lines with diesel using the same Facet fuel pump used to circulate diesel through the FICM while running on B100. I think I have everything laid out pretty well, but knowing where to tap into the coolant and fuel lines is something I'd like a second opinion on before breaking out the cutters! Thanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Why are you heating the bio?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
-Helen Keller

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
-HAL9000

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
I need someone to tell me where the best fuel and coolant line access places and hardware to use in converting a Duramax LB7 to a 2 tank system, heating the 2nd tank with coolant. I will only have B100 in the 2nd tank, not WVO. I don't want to run my fuel lines inside the coolant lines as this will over heat the B100. In cold months I will be purging both B100 supply and return lines with diesel using the same Facet fuel pump used to circulate diesel through the FICM while running on B100. I think I have everything laid out pretty well, but knowing where to tap into the coolant and fuel lines is something I'd like a second opinion on before breaking out the cutters! Thanks.
Careful when heating B100. It becomes extremely reactive and corrosive when heated to above 100F.

At one point, I run out of Filtered WVO, so I used B100 in my WVO tank on Maybelyn. I had a 30-plate FPHE and 600W heater inline. I was heating the B100 to around 140-160F, just like I would with WVO. About 100 miles later, I sprang a leak on my ESV, which is made of plastic. Previously using WVO at over 180F did not cause it to leak. The leak was caused by heated B100. This evidence may be coincidental and anecdotal, but I am careful now not to heat B100 unnecessarily. Heat it only enough for good flow during cold weather.

One other possibility I could think of is that the heated B100 could cause the filter glue to delaminate causing leak and passthru.

2006 2500 GM Savanna Cargo Van "Vinny"
06 LLY Duramax with 4L85E
4-tank 'Holy Grail' custom conversion. On-board collection, prefiltering, de-watering, polishing and storage conversion. 46,000 miles on WVO. EFI-live Custom tuning for WVO combustion.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoodwin View Post
Why are you heating the bio?
I will only be heating the B100 tank in the winter as I live in Wisconsin. I will be monitoring fuel temp in the tank and in the lines to make sure it stay between 50 and 100 F. How are you coming on a Duramax LB7 conversion design for WVO as I will likely use the same fuel/coolant line access points?
Old 05-01-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoJaro View Post
Careful when heating B100. It becomes extremely reactive and corrosive when heated to above 100F.

At one point, I run out of Filtered WVO, so I used B100 in my WVO tank on Maybelyn. I had a 30-plate FPHE and 600W heater inline. I was heating the B100 to around 140-160F, just like I would with WVO. About 100 miles later, I sprang a leak on my ESV, which is made of plastic. Previously using WVO at over 180F did not cause it to leak. The leak was caused by heated B100. This evidence may be coincidental and anecdotal, but I am careful now not to heat B100 unnecessarily. Heat it only enough for good flow during cold weather.

One other possibility I could think of is that the heated B100 could cause the filter glue to delaminate causing leak and passthru.
Good suggestions, thanks! I was aware that over heating B100 is a concern, but I didn't know it became corrosive! To control the B100 tank temp I am insulating the tank to keep the outer walls from getting cold enough to gel the B100. I also will be thermostatically controlling the flow rate of coolant through the heating coil (which is in the center of the tank) so it doesn't over heat during long drives and relying on heat transfer to keep the fluid in the rest of the tank warm.

Do you have any ideas for making sure the B100 doesn't gel in route to the engine during winter? I'm hoping that wrapping the fuel lines in insulation will be enough, but I've been considering experimenting with heat tape if that comes in 12V.

I still need to know where the best fuel and coolant access points on my Duramax LB7 are. Anyone?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:27 AM

Default B100 in Duramax

Just registered on your forum, am also planning to run b100 in a LB7......and I live in Maine so I'll be heating as well.
No kit listed for the Duramax, so how to get a parts list etc?? I see a lot of discussion about the Duramax, fuel cooled ecm etc., but I can't find out what finally happened!
All ready to buy my stuff from Frybrid.....
Old 05-21-2008, 09:48 AM

Does Frybrid offer a Duramax Kit? I would sure buy one from Chris, if I could...
Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 PM

i have been running a goldenfuelsystems conversion on my LLY and it has worked great the only thing that has gone out is the pump it was one for a 6.5L and i don't think they like heat very much but i just got a new PPE pump and i think it will work better
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM

Do you have a link to that PPE pump?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:51 AM

If you have the automatic climate controls on your lb7, it requires the coolant to be constantly circulated through the heater core to be able to maintain the set temp. If you use a thermostat in your tank to limit the fuel temp, then you will be restricting the flow of coolant. This will affect your heater/ac operation. You might want to think about doing a HOH setup to limit the amount of heat you are putting into the bio and do a SMALL coil right at your pickup.
It looks like you already know about keeping the diesel flowing through the FICM to keep it cool. You do need to be running a lift pump to do that though as a dmax does not have traditional fuel pump, only injector pump which does double duty.