HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Technical discussion
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM

Default Glow Plug heating

Anyone have an issue with a glow plug being used to heat up the oil? this system by VaggieCars.com seems OK. My friend and I are just ganna make our own out of an aluminium block and use a glow plug out of a 6.5 since we can carry spare for our trucks.

They will be connected to a thermostat that will open the contact at 185* and close it at 175*. It'll also have an on-off switch so it wont be cooking Diesel when I turn the veg-mode off. We'll probably run 2, one in between the tank and the folter/pump and then one right before the Injector pump. It should help it get it up the temp quicker on cold days, cause I can drive 10 minutes in the winter before my truck hits 150*

My issues are would the tungsten from the glkow plugs corrode from the oil? And If I keep insulated fuel lines would too much heat escape? Or should I run HIH? lines? Also, anything else you see wrong with the idea. I searched on this site and didnt find much on the subject.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Mentor

Exclamation Carbon particle danger

Generally, coolant heat is just the best, period.
Electric heat can be used as "supplemental".

Warning! Glow plug heaters are known to only heat a small part of the oil passing through such a device due to the "skin effect" of oil around them. What this does is "fool" a thermostat (since the very hot oil mixes with colder oil, and the thermostat just "reads" the average). The glow plugs end up running much hotter than the thermostat setting. The very hot temps cause the formation of carbon on the glow plugs, which in turn flakes off into the fuel stream.
IF you are going to try to use one, be sure to have a filter after it!

In the beginning, I was all set to build my own 2 glow plug heater, and use it to "top off" the heat just before the IP. Very luckily, a kind forum member ("Blackwolf") shared his experience of the above with me. The "Vegtherm" is also commonly used as a "booster" of heat. Though somewhat less likely to carbon-up, it has happened to some forum members, so the same precaution (filter after) should be taken.

It has been discussed a little that factory-built coolant glow plug heaters are available. They are mostly used in Europe to boost heat for the cab heater. Just how much benefit might be obtained from using one (say just before a heated filter) has not been determined (to my knowledge). A little build-up of coolant/scale on the plugs would not be too big of a deal if some dislodged and circulated in the coolant loop.
stock 12 valve Cummins- can't keep a flexplate in it, not even a fancy/expensive billet one???
Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 PM

I've seen a friend's glow-plug heater fail firsthand, and that sort of thing that always happens when you least need it. We were in the southern part of New Mexico and the plug burned out after several layers of chicken skin had built up on it. I doubt any VO was even in contact with the plug, only a few thousand miles after the heater had been installed.

And it didn't help that the heater housing was copper too.
Pants Pocket Saver (Tape Measure Holder)
Maya MEL Scripting Manual
"I'd put that oil in my body, but not my engine."
Old 06-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Fire Danger

Didn't someone have one of these things burn up their car. I think he stopped in a rest area and when he came out of the Rest Room his car had burned up?
Ken Gardner
Listeroid Generator on used ATF
Living off grid
Old 06-14-2008, 07:45 AM

I use glowplug heaters in my filter bases. They work well, and do help with warm up on cold days. But,,, isn't there always a but, but I would/and do, only use glow plug heaters BEFORE a filter. Never after the last filter. Glow plugs do burn a bit of VO, and leave/make a little crud(burnt VO) that should be filtered out. I wouldn't want that crud just before an IP or injector.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanJuice
only use glow plug heaters BEFORE a filter. Never after the last filter.
That is really good advice. Could you in the near future post an image of the glow-plug burnt "remnants?" I think if more individuals see these byproducts of glow-plug heat, they will be more cautious of their placement in a VO system.
Pants Pocket Saver (Tape Measure Holder)
Maya MEL Scripting Manual
"I'd put that oil in my body, but not my engine."
Old 06-14-2008, 05:18 PM

I will if I remember to photo them whilst torn apart. The crud looks just like the crud that forms on my bucket heater, and 230v water heater home built barrel heaters. Kind of a burned brown/black hard semi-gooey gook.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:08 PM

Good enough for me. saves me some design work.