HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Hack it
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 AM

Default vegistroke

Just finished an install on my buddies '07 powerstroke. He purchased the vegistroke kit and while I'm a Frybrid guy, I must say I was very impressed with the vegistroke kit.

Simple to install, although there were a couple fittings that took tying my body into a knot to install. Totally automatic and well built. Good instructions, had one "run" wire that should have been white/yellow but was red/ltgreen but other than that they were perfect for every step. Would have liked to seen a plumbing diagram simply for my own understanding of the system. I don't know if I've ever had this happen before, but we installed the system in about 12 hours, his lift surely helped, started the truck and it ran just fine, no problems.

I would reccommend the vegistroke system to anyone looking into a powerstroke conversion. May even start looking into an excursion for the wifey.
98 ram; 12valve; 4-door long bed. Custom tool box tank and Tank HE. 3k GSK; #10 Fuel Plate slid forward; 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Six guages; silencer ring removed, ATD transmission, tri-lok Tourque convertor, High Pressure Valve Body, new 165's; Boost Elbow, 287 k odometer, 107k on veggie. 10/05/08
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Daily News Editor

Just remember, the Vegistroke and Frybrid can be ordered as a hybrid, as Chris and Jason have been working together for awhile, so it sounds.... I think it can be ordered here, as a matter of fact... then you have the best of both worlds.

1993 Chevy K1500 6.2L on Diesel & V100

1996 Polaris Sportsman 500(the only gasser I wanna deal with)
1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDI!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:56 AM

The Vegistroke is a nice kit, and the V3 module is well built. The only problem I found was getting the plug out of the drivers side head (2001 7.3 liter) the 7.3 plugs are 5/16 square head so an 8 point socket would have been nice but just try and get one on short notice. I eventually used small vice grips to round off the head and used a #2 extractor, the type that grab the head of a bolt.

If I had an 8 point socket I figure I could have completed the install in 8 to 10 hours. As it was it took about 16 hours.

I elected to install anchors on the underside of the floorboards and run the wire harness over the transmission rather than on the cross member. (less oil and road grime should I need to work on it.)

The only real problems I had were with the 60 gallon RDS tank. The tank lacked a fuel pick up. Both small ports are just fittings on the top of the tank so I plumbed my fuel feed into the fuel drain. This is only a problem when I get below 10 gallons and take a hard left turn. Other than that the tank is great. I fill up on Monday and I have enough fuel to get through the week and still make a 130 mile trip to LA on the weekend.

I figure if I had the frybrid/V3 kit I would have not had the tank issue and I would have had the heater/pickup I really wanted. But Chris had not announced the V3 deal until after I ordered my kit.

Oh and on a final note: I did have to play around with the run on timing just a bit but it was easy to figure out without having to call Jason. I had spoken on the phone with them prior to getting the kit since I was still considering modifying the kit with a different controller. They were very helpful and discussed the pros and cons ad nausium with me. Ultimately I left it as is and I am glad I did.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 AM

the RDS tanks have had many different issues. Mine came with the same fitting for fuel intake and return also, 50/50 chance of getting it right short of pulling the fittings. They were supposed to have different sizes. I have a little over 3000 miles on my V3 now and am still excited about it. Wish Chris would have announced sooner about his hybrid.
Also, did you know that the vegistroke forum is unofficially open again? pm for the address.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 PM

Did you install it on a 7.3 or a 6.0?
On edit, after reading the post with my eyes open, I see it's an 07 so duh.
And I know which fittings tied you into knots. I have scars(as does the walls of my barn) from 3 years ago when I connected my system to the back of the heads.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvia View Post
Wish Chris would have announced sooner about his hybrid.
What's the deal with the hybrid kit? I just received my V3 (everything but the tank) last week but I ordered from DFA.