HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Legal issues
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 AM

Default California Changes Collection Law

This was posted to the San Diego Greasers yahoo group by one of our members:

Looks like the waste haulers permit might get reduced form $400 to $100 with AB 1846. I'm not sure but I think it passed and the restriction outside of the max 165 gallon storage listed in the bill should be easy to live with.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bil...d_sen_v96.html

Timid men prefer the calm of Despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson

1985 Mercedes Benz 300SD Turbo Diesel - Frybrid (Thanks Chris for a great product, and JeffNLisa for a great Install)
Old 07-25-2008, 08:05 AM

It has passed the assembly but it is still in the senate, it is next due for hearing on 8-4-08.

You can track the status here
Old 08-24-2008, 08:40 AM

I hope this goes through. $100 to be legal would be awesome.

AJ

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter
DIY FrybriStroke - 90K on WVO since 2007
Old 10-08-2008, 07:37 PM

I just read this in Biodiesel magazine...

-------------

From the October 2008 Issue
California makes home biodiesel production cheaper
by Kris Bevill

Web exclusive posted Oct. 8, 2008 at 10:36 a.m. CST

A bill signed into law by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Sept. 26 lowers the fee that private individuals must pay before being lawfully able to collect yellow grease from institutions for the purpose of producing biodiesel.

California law requires that anyone collecting waste oil for biodiesel production must register first with the state’s agriculture department. The legislation reduced the $300 registration fee by 75 percent for private users.

Assemblyman Anthony Adams, R-Hesperia, Calif., introduced Bill 1846 earlier this year, proposing to eliminate all fees charged to individuals who collect waste oil for biodiesel production. He told Biodiesel Magazine that the fee for private individuals to obtain such a license in California was only $75 until early this year when the state legislature voted to raise the fee to $300. That was what spurred him to submit the bill, and he’s pleased the fee has been lowered to its original cost. "We've got these small-scale users who are using [yellow grease] for personal use and they’re trying to do what they believe to be environmentally-conscious work and they're being smacked around by the state,” he said.

Adams was prompted to submit the bill by a local group of private individuals known as the “Good Earth Grease Haulers” who use waste vegetable oil to fuel their vehicles.

Adams doesn’t think lowering the fee for individuals to collect waste oil will affect California’s commercial biodiesel industry. Any negative impact would have happened already, he said, before the fee was raised by the state less than a year ago. By encouraging individuals to make their own biodiesel, public awareness of biodiesel will be increased, he added.

Adams also believes that a cheaper registration fee will lessen instances of grease theft. He views the bill as a stop-gap measure until technology catches up and the industry can supply more fuel to consumers. Until then, Adams is trying to ensure that those who want to and are capable of making their own biodiesel can do so “in an affordable way,” he said. “It makes no sense to beat down someone who’s trying to help the environment.”
MB 300GD G-Wagen - Conversion in process
1987 MB 300 SDL - Sold!
1994 Chevy Suburban 2500 6.5L Turbo Diesel -Sold!
1985 MB 300TD Wagon - Sold!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 PM

Awesome.

AJ

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter
DIY FrybriStroke - 90K on WVO since 2007
Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 AM

Great news!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Ok, so I surfed the Food and Agriculture website, saw nothing new...same ole prices so I filled an application out, sent it in, attached the article and enclosed a check for the reduced amount.

Got a call 1 week later...the new law goes into affect Jan. 1, 2009 so they wanted to know did I want to pro-rate or?

Since I am just getting started I will wait till Jan. 1st.

My advice is put your application in Dec. 1 because it does take some time to process. Last time I did this they called and wanted to know how I was going to move the oil home, how I'd secure the containers, etc. Very helpful people...they just want to make sure you tie things down etc.

-FF
1987 MB 300 SDL - Sold!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:02 AM

Default Lower Cost for License

Good news for CA greasers. Rec'd my renewal form for PERSONAL USE from the CA Food & Agri Dept. $100 to register plus $75 per vehicle, $1 mil ins policy. Last yr. it cost $400.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Re: CA Yellow Grease Hauling License

I submitted my application in Nov. Yesterday was my inspection. The main thing they wanted to see was how you will secure the oil. I just used a inexpensive rachet strap from Harbor freight to strap across the 5 gallon cubies to hold them down and he was happy with that. I was advised to add a bungie cord to prevent the cubies from slipping back.

I brought examples of the forms I'll use to document the amount of oil I pick up.

The CA regs are on-line, just Google it.

You have to have a sign with your name at least 2" high on your vehicle door as you are transporting oil. I laminated a sign and attached some magnets to the back. Better to go to Kinko's and have them make up a magnetic sign IMHO.

He mentioned it's not required but a good idea to have a signed letter in your posession from the restaurant owner authorizing you to take their oi.

He snapped photos of everything, looked at my vehicles registration.

Had a chat and I was off.

Painless, took abut 40 minutes.

I like to tell restaurant owners I'm insured and legally registered. Sets me apart and helps me sign up new restaurants. Also, if a Render reports me...who cares, I'm legal.

-FF
1987 MB 300 SDL - Sold!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
Good news for CA greasers. Rec'd my renewal form for PERSONAL USE from the CA Food & Agri Dept. $100 to register plus $75 per vehicle, $1 mil ins policy. Last yr. it cost $400.

Good news dragonfly