HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Fuel mixing / Fuel Blending
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 AM

Default 03 common rail(any other wvo blenders 25%)

i am new to this forum and would like to know if anybody esle is running 25%wvo in a 3rd gen cummins? my mix is 4 gal wvo,1/2 gal rug,1/3 bottle power service,and 1oz 2-stroke oil to gal(1 quart per tank 35gal),with 30 gal #2 diesel. i have been doing this for about 5 months. i drive a lot 200-300 miles a day, at least 4 days a week. i have had no issues with this mix. i change fuel filter and engine oil at 10,000 miles, and carry a fuel filter behind my seat(never had to use it yet). i park in heated shop or plug in if outside. this summer i would like to run maby 50% wvo. any ideas???
Old 12-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Smile

Welcome to the forum.

Your post should have been in the "Mix it up" section which relates to fuel mixing or blending.

While I am sure that you have had a promising experience with your blend, I would highly advise that you get an engine oil analysis done ASAP and follow it up with another in 3000 miles. I think that you will find that you are rapidly accelerating the wear of your engine. There were many studies done on mixing up until about 1982 when federal research funding into alternative fuels was cut, all without exception showed that mixing any more then 15% VO with diesel rapidly accelerated engine wear. To my knowledge no studies were done below 15% as any financial gain was seen to be far outweighed by the risk involved. You appear to be mixing at about 15%.

Your mix in particular is an odd one, for one thing you are mixing 4 1/2 gallons into 30 gallons of diesel, a net savings of about $8 for every 805 miles driven or about 1˘ per mile savings and for that you are risking your engine life? The amount of RUG you are mixing in will definitely raise the cetane level of the mix while the 2 stroke oil will lower it, Without knowing which of the power service products you are using, I can not even speculate on what added effect this has.

What I can tell you is that for me a savings of less than 1˘ per mile (I have no idea what you pay for 2 stroke oil or power service) I would not be risking a $20,000.00 + truck engine.

An engine oil analysis from Blackstone labs will clear up any speculation and tell you exactly what is going on with your engine as a result of the fuel you are using, at $15 it is well worth while.

PS. your engine oil change interval seems about 3 times longer than it should be...

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
-Helen Keller

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
-HAL9000

Old 12-14-2008, 04:28 PM

where do i get a engine oil anilazed???
Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned

check your private messages
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned

Default WVO fuel blending

Hello buzzinhalfdoz , I agree with cgoodwin, it is hardly worth risking the engine on a new vehicle to experiment with bio-fuels, especially with such a small volume of fuel, as you are using. On the other hand if you were running your vehicle on a larger percentage of WVO, then the amount you saved in fuel you could probably afford to buy yourself a new engine every year. My experimental vehicle is a 1983 Chevy van with a 6.2L V-8 diesel engine in it. If I blow the engine, then I am only out $1200, and I can always get another cheap diesel to experiment on if I kill it.

Over the four years of my research into bio-fuels I have conducted numerous literature searches and participated in web-based forums on the subject of vegetable oil-based diesel fuels and solvent blending of vegetable oil for use as diesel fuel. A survey of the literature on fuel blending for burning vegetable oils in diesel engines has produced a number of titles. In most cases the research on bio-fuel blending only blended #2 diesel fuel with vegetable oil.

In “Using Unmodified Vegetable Oils as a Diesel Fuel Extender – A Literature Review” (Jones, Sam and Charles L. Peterson) the research in the 80s found every blend of vegetable oils with #2 Diesel resulted in “severe piston ring gumming and catastrophic engine failure.” From Korus, Jo and Peterson (1984) we find, "The most obvious problem in a short term engine test with vegetable oil blends is the formation of carbon deposits on the injector nozzles. The amount of the deposits (coking) increases in amount with the percentage of oil in the fuel blend...All vegetable oil fuel blends (tested) gave a statistically significant increase in carbon deposits relative to diesel."

More recent research by LABECKAS and SLAVINSKAS (2006) we find, “Oil heating to the temperature of 60 °C (140F) diminishes its viscosity to 19.5 mm2 s-1 ensuring a smooth oil flow through the fuel filter and reducing the brake specific energy consumption at light loads by 11.7-7.4%. Further heating to the temperature of 90 °C offers no advantages in terms of performance.” This research suggests that heating vegetable oil prior to combustion might improve its combustion, which should reduce the coking, although it did not say so. This research also suggests heating the fuel prior to combustion plus running a blend of vegetable oil with #2 diesel fuel, might not cause “severe piston ring gumming and catastrophic engine failure.” It also suggests that gasoline and fuel line heating could coexist if the fuel line were not heated over 60 °C (140F). But, these research have not yet been done.

What is disturbing about these researchers is not one of them have used gasoline as a thinner for vegetable oil. However, if we examine the research from “THE INFLUENCE OF TURPENTINE ADDITIVE ON THE ECOLOGICAL PARAMETERS OF DIESEL ENGINES,” Butkus, Pukalskas, Bogdanov (2006), we find the first research that works with blending diesel fuel with light solvents. In this case it is turpentine. Here we can come to some conclusions based upon the summary of their research that might apply to blending solvents with oils.

Butkus, Pukalskas, Bogdanov (2006) Conclude:
“1. Addition of 5 % of lighter fuel fractions to diesel fuel reduced engine exhaust smoke by 10…20 % in both Diesel engines.
2. Turpentine easily form mixtures (without any supplements) with diesel fuel.
3. Decrease of specific fuel consumption for diesel fuel blends with 5 % of turpentine was caused by faster evaporation and combustion of the blend particles as compared with pure diesel fuel.
4. Small amount of turpentine additive to diesel fuel would increase the cost of the fuel blend only by 3…5 %.”

Their first conclusion suggests that any light fraction, when added to a vegetable oil might reduce the coking problem of burning vegetable oil blends. It also suggests that other solvents might have the same result as turpentine at reducing engine exhaust smoke, especially when added to vegetable oil, as long as it meets the criteria of the second conclusion of easily forming mixtures without residues. And, since other solvents, such as: acetone, MEK and gasoline, easily form mixtures (without any supplements) with vegetable oil then it could very well be true that a reduction of exhaust smoke and engine coking for these oils and fats might occur, when blended with solvents.

Also, since quite a few people who blend gasoline or kerosene with vegetable oil (see below), find greater power and fuel economy than one would expect if one were to just add up the BTUs of the components in such a blend, then the third conclusion suggests that adding solvents, such as: gasoline or kerosene to vegetable oil causes faster evaporation and combustion of the blend particles as compared with pure vegetable oil. However, this conclusion sounds theoretical and not experimental. The other possible mechanism might be a hypothetical decrease of surface tension by adding a light fraction that might improve atomization of the base fuel, which is in this case vegetable oil. However, the fourth conclusion would not hold true for gasoline as a solvent, because it is cheaper than diesel fuel. You may find the following summary of research on VO-based fuel blends informative:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veggie...rs/message/144
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veggie...rs/message/145
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veggie...rs/message/146
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veggie...rs/message/147
Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdoz View Post
where do i get a engine oil anilazed???

BLACKSTONE LABS

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
-Helen Keller

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
-HAL9000