HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Fuel mixing / Fuel Blending
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 06:36 AM

Default wvo blend in a '91 Dodge ?

Hi Friends,
I'm in Mexico and have a friend who just bought a '91 Dodge pickup with a cummins. I told him I thought he should be able, because of the year round warmth, to blend WVO with diesel. I don't want to ruin his truck so I thought I'd ask around. What do you think?
Thanks
Jerry
'75 Crown Coach
6-71 two tank system
Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell View Post
Hi Friends,
I'm in Mexico and have a friend who just bought a '91 Dodge pickup with a cummins. I told him I thought he should be able, because of the year round warmth, to blend WVO with diesel. I don't want to ruin his truck so I thought I'd ask around. What do you think?
Thanks
Jerry
'75 Crown Coach
6-71 two tank system
I think you deserve a good caning! Suggesting that a great engine be mistreated like that definitely means some behavior modification is necessary. Can we trust you to appropriate render the spanking?

It is a direct injection engine - and it's not a good candidate for blending. Most of the folks that do blend stick with indirect injection engines.

Having a warm climate means he probably can get away with not heating the tank or the fuel lines - He could get by with a simple two tank setup with a few valves and a decent FPHE in front of the IP. I'd toss in some gauges, just to be safe - along with a 195 *F thermostat.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

Many people are doing successful long term blends of VO and diesel fuel in a variety of vehicles in different climates. Some people have damaged engines doing blends incorrectly. Diesel fuel blending is only for those with an interest in experimenting and attention to details. Those who seek a "Plug and Play", "WVO for Dummies" solution for using VO fuel should stick with a two tank system conversion.

Don't expect an objective discussion of VO fuel blending on a forum owned and operated by a company that specializes in two tank WVO conversion systems.
That's like expecting an objective discussion of birth control on a forum hosted by the Vatican.

For objective discussion of VO-diesel fuel blending the following forums are recommended:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/index.php
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums
Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 PM

Most folks with a clue will stick to indirect injection engines for their one tank or blending efforts. John's not always good with a clue there - I'd suggest listening to people far wiser than he. That's a pretty big pool to draw from.

The risks to the engine are much greater when the fuel is being sprayed directly onto the pistons - and most likely the cylinder walls as well. The IDI engines typically inject the fuel into a combustion chamber - it is a lot more tolerant of the abuse that occurs with blending and cold operation during startup.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 AM

Default It can't be done

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...03/m/204109049

Totally impossible, you will ruin your engine, the sky is falling! Lions, and tigers, and Bears, Oh my!

Do your research. Don't post questions on a two tank forum. Go to a blenders site and read alot. Use only the best of the best oils. And add heat anyway you can.

Oh yeah, did I mention it CAN'T be done. So don't even try. Lol.
Clessie would probably roll in his grave if you tried such a thing.

A two tank is always better, and easy to setup. Even just letting the engine come up to temp on diesel before switching over to veg will give you a better chance for success. Keep reading.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 AM

Thank you so much for the information and your comments. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. We will discuss a two tank system.
I've been on crutches and in a cast for the last few days so I couldn't reply. Just a twisted ankle.
Thanks again.
P.S. It was not an accident that I asked the question here.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 AM

my buddy has a 90 dodge cummins. he had a diy conversion that worked well. then he got laid off and "coundnt afford diesel". so he started and stopped on wvo. it started down to 10F. and it shook like hell. then it warmed up and wad fine. than one day he was driving down and road and the motor started to act strange. thought it needed a new filter. got out and it was shooting oil out the dipstick wicked bad! now the motor its on a pallet and we put a used motor in. havnt taken that old motor apart but i think the cold oil killed it. only 200,000 on the dead motor.