HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Technical discussion
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2005, 01:23 PM

Default ? About Installing A Vacuum Gauge

Where's the best place to install a vacuum guage? I actually called greasecar to ask them since they sell them now, and they said right before the injection pump. But i think that's because a lot of the cars they work with have the lift pump and injection pump built in or something like that, where as i have a seperate lift pump.
I was thinking of installing one shortly after the svo filter, just so i can monitor the flow rate through it. The problem is that there would be close to 10 feet of line from the vac gauge to the t in the svo line, and i would think that space could eventually get filled with svo, which in cold weather could solidify and take a lot longer to thaw since it would not be heated. Then the gauge would not work.
Anyone have experience with these? thanks,
Paul
Old 03-16-2005, 02:07 PM

How far is your lift pump from the VO filter and how far is the lift pump from the injection pump? I would think that the vacuum gauge should work fine anywhere between the filter and the lift pump.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:52 PM

You are correct in assuming you would need to use a mechanical vacuum gauge. Standard electronic boost/vacuum gauge sensor units will not withstand exposure to VO/WVO/Diesel. This is a fundamental problem with using a vacuum gauge in this type of application.

The only real solution is to use a combination pressure/vacuum sensor that is specifically designed for automotive fluid exposure along with some type of control and display unit. I have investigated this for my ECU and it is a rather costly sensor with the cheapest reliable unit (JUST sensor) being in the $80 neighborhood.

Ray
Old 03-17-2005, 03:48 PM

what about the ones that autozone sells - made by sunpro, it is just a mechanical, dash-mounted "boost" gauge. It's made to just t off a fuel line, i believe. Do you think that would work?
Paul
Old 03-17-2005, 08:56 PM

Default "T" here

Put the Tee for your vacuum as the last Tee in the fuel line before the fuel is used by the motor. You should be monitoring the vacuum of all the fuel. That way you can monitor the status of both fuels' filters. You can see the difference in vacuum required to draw your WVO compared to diesel. The line does not fill with fuel. I have been running one this winter (northern MN) with no problems.
My vacuum on WVO is currently about 1/2 of the vacuum on diesel. This means that either my WVO is really hot and flows easier than diesel or... it is getting time to change my diesel fuel filter.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:50 AM

Yep, those work great.

"what about the ones that autozone sells - made by sunpro, it is just a mechanical, dash-mounted "boost" gauge. It's made to just t off a fuel line, i believe. Do you think that would work?"
Paul
Old 08-30-2005, 01:30 PM

Which gauge do you speak of?

This one??

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...EACM%7C%7Etrue
Old 08-30-2005, 04:33 PM

I installed an Autometer vacuum/boost gauge on my veggie filter. Using a Facet low pressure boost pump, this gauge is usually running with about 4psi. This combination vac/boost gauge has been a great diagnostic tool as I can tell the condition of the filter as well as the pump.

The Racor filter mount has a variety of ports both on inlet and outlet sides.

Todd T
Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 PM

Default another gauge

take a look at this one
http://www.enviofuel.com/index.php?o...&limitstart=10

I have used one like the sun pro for Two years ... works great ... however you can feel the car's filter clog after a while O
Old 08-31-2005, 07:17 AM

So there's no gauge in the cabin? It's right there on the filter?