HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Fuel mixing / Fuel Blending
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2006, 08:57 AM

Default diesel and automatic transmission fluid

anyone have any ideas on the pros and cons of mixing used filtered transmission fluid to fuel? I have done freezer tests with different amount of mixes. It seems the transmission fluid helps to prevent gelling of the fuel. I would like to run a 50/50 blend.
thanks for your help!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:15 PM

I've long been told, be it right or wrong, not to burn anything with lubeoil additives/detegents as a fuel. 2 stroke oil does not have the detergents that 4 stroke oil does because it is burn't along with the fuel.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 AM

I have met people who fill their VO filter with tranny oil as a pre-prime whenever they change their filter. So at least a filter-full of it as a single slug must be OK.

More than that, I couldn't say.

I never cease to be amazed at what will burn in one of these engines if mixed in with some diesel.

Still wouldn't know how to call it though; just 'cause it will burn in there doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Jeff

Installing VO conversion kits (all makes) in Southern California, e-mail me
Old 09-27-2006, 05:36 PM

I just poured a quart of ATF in my veg oil tank to act as a dye to help time my purge after I shortened my feed line a few inches. Worked well as a dye and I didn't notice any difference in performance. Don't plan on doing it again just because I don't see any reason to. Just wanted to add my two cents.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Default A side note for ATF

Just a side note -
I regularly (30,000 miles) replace my crankcase oil with ATF and idle for a while (20 minutes or so) at full engine temperture. Then I change it back to regular crankcase oil.
I was told by my automotive inscructor (professional not high school) that it helps remove and reduce varnishing on the engine bearings- thereby theoretically increasing engine life. It makes sense... ATF is high in anti-varnish compounds.
I have done this in all my vehicles for years... not sure if it does anything or not.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:44 AM

The only drawback with ATF is it tends to attract a little water. A lot of older diesel drivers add ATF regularly, I still see it at the pumps here in ABQ sometimes. If you are filling straight out of a bottle into a filter it should not pose any problems, it is also a great cleanser as mentioned several times. Of course as with almost any oil you burn in a diesel as long as it is dry and thin enough she'll eat it up!
Old 10-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonyohon
Just a side note -
I regularly (30,000 miles) replace my crankcase oil with ATF and idle for a while (20 minutes or so) at full engine temperture. Then I change it back to regular crankcase oil.
I was told by my automotive inscructor (professional not high school) that it helps remove and reduce varnishing on the engine bearings- thereby theoretically increasing engine life. It makes sense... ATF is high in anti-varnish compounds.
I have done this in all my vehicles for years... not sure if it does anything or not.
When I lived in Europe a Mechanic friend used "Flush oil" with was ATF, when lifter stuck he would do exactly what you described, he would also do this to his engine oil about once a year. Makes sense although I would not load the engine while doing so. I also watched a mechanic in Turkey place the feed and return lines of my Land Rover 110 into a quart of AFT, then drove it like he stole it up and down the road in front of the shop. My injectors were quiet again until I got to Cape Town where I did the same trick.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
-Helen Keller

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
-HAL9000

Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 AM

So, my Jetta is sold now, but I noticed something interesting after using the ATF in my veg tank a few weeks ago. I'd been noticing an increase in the varnish smell coming from my veg tank. Poly was my guess. Pulling the temp sender from the top of the tank revealed a thin layer of the brown gunk. Not full-on chicken skin yet, but the start of it. Well, after I ran the quart of ATF through the veg tank I noticed a definite decrease in the varnish smell. Could the ATF have cleaned some of the poly off my copper heating coil? If so, is this something folks with copper coils should consider as a part of regular maintenance?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dust Send a message via MSN to Dust Send a message via Yahoo to Dust

Something the ATF praisers need to remember is that ATF was, a long time ago, a better cleaner than oil. Then Detergent oil came out and that all changed. Now, oil is a much better cleaner than ATF. ATF contains alot of dispersants, not to be confused with detergents. In the last 40 years or so, alot of changes have been made to ATF and oil, and alot of products have come out that do the job of what the ATF users want it to do, clean.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:28 AM
Daily News Editor

Arrow

Put a mix of trany fluid (not necessarily atf) and diesel fuel in a small hand pump garden sprayer and spray your chassis and under body of your vehicle to curb the rusting effect of winter salt, works great, the diesel thins the ATF enough to get through the sprayer nozzle, but I dont know how good it is on the rubber diaphragm.

1993 Chevy K1500 6.2L on Diesel & V100

1996 Polaris Sportsman 500(the only gasser I wanna deal with)
1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDI!!!