HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Users Conversions
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2007, 07:08 PM

Default White Smoke? Blue Smoke? 1996 Cummins

OK, I really tried to research this one a little bit and look through a ton of previous threads to find answers.

Have about 1200 miles on Veg and the engine is running perfect. I need to go back a little so that I get the details in and hopefully somebody can pinpoint what is going on. Pre-veg oil the Cummins would smoke a bit at idle when in gear, i.e. when sitting at a stop light. If put into park, the smoke would die down but after a length of time sitting at idle I would put the truck into gear and a puff of white/grey would exit the exhaust and then dissipate. The smoke to me appears to be greyish,white,possibly "blue", it lingers a hair but it was never that serious or fogging up the atmosphere at all. I would notice the smoke far more at night when someones headlights were focussed from behind on the exhaust. At night when at idle it appeared a steady small stream of smoke would leave the exhaust.

Engine has 260,000 + miles and I was told that it was pretty normal for an engine with that many miles to "smoke a little".

After conversion it is still operating in the same matter on diesel. When running veg oil it sounds like it is running OK, a hair rougher at idle. However the smoking increases when burning veg both at idle and is often subtly puffing when operating. At night with the headlights behind I am blowing a pretty steady stream of grey, white/blue smoke (how you guys tell the difference is beyond me and I guess I am diesel smoke color blind).

This is the same with SVO ( I burned that first to make sure all was in order) and my filtered WVO (filtered through a goldenrod filter and then through the big bag filter (1 micron).

Engine sounds great on both and only a small power loss when running on VO. Injection timing issue? Fuel Pressure Issue? Basically I am looking for a little help on what causes grey, light smoke. I know black smoke, not doing that, more foot, less smoke. Idle and low rpm's, more smoke.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:55 AM

Hit www.cumminsforum.com and see what you can find. My wife's '93 smokes a little at startup now with 280k miles on it - but that's because she has the POD injectors in it. Prior to installing them, there wasn't much smoke to be seen. Something is wrong with your truck - I'll try to dig through some archives later today.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Injectors maybe??

I think DB was right on track with pointing out the injectors as possible culprit. I saw this on a newer ram my friend had and his problem was 2 (?) bad injectors I think. Anyhow, it would smoke when he started it up and smoke as he was going down the road a bit, not too bad though. I think he said it ran a little rough when cold too. You could double check the injection pump timing to be certain that this is not your issue too. Hopefully someone else will come up with some more info as that is all I can tell you from my experience.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Smokey

New set of injectors are on the way and I will give that a go as to me it looks like the things are the stock originals which puts 270,000 miles on that set. Once installed I will also have the timing checked and confirmed. Smoke is not getting any worse at this point and am still moving along nicely.

Just to calm any freakout episodes, if it was a compression issue (which I also read is a symptom of grey/white smoke) the smoke should get worse the more work the engine does correct.

Been a while since I have measured the compression and not real familiar with how to do that on a diesel.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Have you eliminated air in the fuel, while on VO? That's a very common problem with VO conversions, and will cause white smoke.

-Forest