HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Users Conversions
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Jeep Liberty CRD

Where do I start for the conversion of the 2.8L I4 VMotori diesel on the 05 Jeep Liberty CRD. I would like the conversion preserve the cargo area of the truck. I tried calling Chris G of Frybrid last week and hasnt got back to me. Any suggestions?
Jeremy
Old 01-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Banned

I'm in the same position as you. I'm very comfortable with veggie (two vehicles and a house running on it) but not satisfied with any of the solutions for the Liberty.

Both Greasecar and Frybrid have done conversions (though neither sells a kit)
but they put the tank in the trunk.

I also won't give up the meager cargo space. Greasel does a conversion splitting the fuel tank in two, but it costs $3,500 and I've heard very little good about the company - especially on this forum.

There may aslo be a smoke issue with Liberties runing on veggie.

So in the meantime, I'm racking up a few warranty miles on my Jeep and looking for new conversion info.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM

I'm also looking to get a Liberty to convert and was hoping to find that there was someone who had figured out a better tank idea. I was considering doing a taller narrow tank and making it smaller...maybe only 15-20 gallons and it would sit to one side or the other in the cargo area.

2008 Ford CC shortbed F-250 King Ranch
Vegistroke V3 with 3k miles
Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 PM

Hey Guys:
Great to hear from fellow Liberty owners. Isnt it a blast to drive? Anyways, I have a great mechanic, whose background is mainly with diesels (he is reliving his childhood with this and my Nissan UD conversion). I took Golden Fuel System (aka Greasel) idea of a split tank design to a SVO online group. Someone turned me onto a company in Wisconsin that does conversions (2 state certified welders). I spoke with them today (Monday) and said they would be able to the split tank idea with no problems. Now my mechanic and I are figuring out the filler necks. Fit two smaller necks into the same area of the current neck and cap? Fit the VO neck into the crevice behind the back seat and cargo area? Also, checked with the dealer and there is not a fuel pump. Check with yours and confirm that info. The Dealer mechanic said the fuel & injector/lifter pump are all in one. This all in one pump siphons/draws the fuel from the tank with no psi. What are your guys thoughts? Let's us 3 work together on this project.

The Frybrid conversion sacrifices the whole cargo area, so that is a no go. I have heard the same things about GFS/Greasel, but the set up is the sweetest I have seen or heard yet. $3500 is also a no go.

Jeremy
Old 01-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Resident wise-cracking commie-liberal democrat

Jeremy,

Many apologies, I should have checked here before I responded to your pm.

I like the idea of trying to keep the svo filler hidden behind the stock filler door. However, how many people will be driving the Libby? I trust my wife with my kids, but.... putting the #2 diesel nozzle in the correct filler....
I thought about locating the svo filler to the opposite side of the vehicle behind one of those cool looking polished billet fuel doors.

When splitting the tank, be careful about heat transfer to the diesel side. I'd prefer to see 2 separate tanks aside of each other. So the svo tank could be dropped of necessary based on the polyermization issues some have reported. in that way, the vehicle would still have its main diesel tank.

As far as GFS system. I find their description of the system and how it works way too vague to "trust their installer" with my $22K Libby and another $3500!! Nope, not me thanks.

I don't understand the libby fuel delivery system... yet. No offense but if you are taking advice from a dealer mechanic..... unless he is family... I'd be careful. Personally, I trust dealers less than I trust Chrysler and I though I would NEVER own another Chrysler product in a million years!!

As far as fabing anything, I will be severely hampered for the next couple of months seeing how I am on one side of the pond and my libby is on the other. While I am here though, I will take a stroll into the Jeep dealer down the street from my flat [that's apartment to us ] and see how many of those engines they have running around.

C.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, Don't give consent for that which you do not want.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

Sounds interesting Jeremy. If you start doing anything, please take losts of pictures.

I totally agree with RNCarl about not trusting the dealer. I also believe that there is no lift pump, and I have not found one yet, but I did come across a reference somewhere to a fuel pump fuse, or a supplemental fuel pump fuse or something like that. I'll tyr to find it.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Thanks Phil, I appreciate you finding that reference number. I went to the dealership to find out what the psi for the pump from the tank to the injector pump. They came back and explained that there is not a fuel pump from the tank to the injectors & that the injector pump & fuel pump are all in one. This pump then draws the fuel from the tank without any psi. But you are right, Chrysler doesnt know much. I emailed their tech department about their stance on SVO and Biodiesel. The tech didnt know the difference between B5 & B100. I got the answer I figured I would, vague and unresearched. I will take bunch of pics!
Jeremy
Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 AM

I am still looking for a Liberty CRD to purchase so if you all have any leads for me it would be much appreciated.
Meanwhile I will follow this thread closely - sorry i don't have anything to offer with the technical details yet.

2008 Ford CC shortbed F-250 King Ranch
Vegistroke V3 with 3k miles
Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM

Where are you located? Did you want new or used? Fun little vehicle. Im a big guy, and it gives me plenty of room.
Jeremy
Old 01-31-2007, 03:24 PM

Carl,
What did you mean the polymerization issues you have heard about it? Did you mean the GFS/Greasal split tank or..... What is polymerization? Thanks!
Jeremy