HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Users Conversions
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Resident wise-cracking commie-liberal democrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynic2000 View Post
Carl,
What did you mean the polymerization issues you have heard about it? Did you mean the GFS/Greasal split tank or..... What is polymerization? Thanks!
Jeremy
Look under the tech thread. there is a report on wvo polymerizing when heated in a tank for a while and the use of steel in tank construction.

Yes I meant the greasal - ala Golden fuel split tank. if you are going to fab a tank, keep them separate. It I get a chance I will draw an Idea up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2VOfuels View Post
I am still looking for a Liberty CRD to purchase so if you all have any leads for me it would be much appreciated.
Meanwhile I will follow this thread closely - sorry i don't have anything to offer with the technical details yet.
New,
I would go with an '06 model over the '05 model year. Also get as late a build date as possible, it may help from getting so many tech bukiyien recalls. There seems to be an issue with the torque converter in '05 models along with the trans pump. The little diesel has too much torque for the slush box Chrysler puts behind it.
Just search and search don't jump on the first thing. I was looking at libbys for almost a year. Ever since Chris did the conversion.
Look here to see what has been going on: http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, Don't give consent for that which you do not want.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 PM

The Liberty CRD was discontinued in '06 in favor of the Jeep Commander, Grand Cherokee & Wrangler fitted with MBenz 3.0L V6. You are right the torque converter, EGR valve & rear ball joints are on recall. Had them done. I haven't heard about the transmission yet. I still love this vehicle, very fun to drive.

I have built a rough model of a tank in the cargo area - a 12"x24"x12". That would yield 14.5gallons roughly. That is way too tight and would not work. A tank half that size would, but figure only about 7 gallons of VO.

I read the report that was included on that thread. It sounds that if you use your vehicle/VO regularly, have baffled fuel tanks, and somewhat fresh WVO there should not be a problem. If a little, drain and then apply an anti-oxidant. I almost went with the two separate tanks, but with room issues it wont work. If you dont mind the whole cargo area being taken up by the tank, then a 2 tank separation would work. My wife is not keen on that. In winter weather the heated tank will help with the diesel not gelling up. The tank that this company uses is stainless steel. Any ideas are very welcomed.

Under the hood is very tight as well, and trying to fit a heated fuel filter (hopefully a Davco 234) somewhere. Ideas very welcomed.

Jeremy
Old 02-04-2007, 09:36 AM

Thanks Carl,
I bought the service manuals off of Ebay this week. I haven't recieved them yet. As for the tank, no Im not trying to save a few bucks. There is not a kit, system or anything out there for the Liberty. Frybrid and GFS are the only companies that have tried to convert the Liberty. No offense to Frybird, but the system is gawdy, cumbersome, and takes the whole vehicle up. Im sure it works great, but there were no measures to conserve the little real estate they have. The GFS system I hear is quality suspect. So, I am really stuck actually and have to take advantage of the collective thoughts and experiences of others. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Jeremy
Old 02-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

Greasecar has also converted a Liberty, though they are not selling a kit. They also put the tank in the luggage area, and may have been having some long idle/smoking problems with it.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Banned

Jeremy,

The reference to a fuel pump is in the owner's manual, on the page (350?) that lists all the fuses and. One of them (#14?) says "PDC Fuel Pump.....Transmission Controller (Diesel only)".

Kind of ambiguous; is the transmission controller only on the diesel, or are all those items?

Worth looking into anyway.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNCarl View Post
New,
I would go with an '06 model over the '05 model year. Also get as late a build date as possible, it may help from getting so many tech bukiyien recalls. There seems to be an issue with the torque converter in '05 models along with the trans pump. The little diesel has too much torque for the slush box Chrysler puts behind it.
Just search and search don't jump on the first thing. I was looking at libbys for almost a year. Ever since Chris did the conversion.
Look here to see what has been going on: http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/
Thanks, i am in Oklahoma and have looked on Ebay only to find 3 dealers - 2 in TX that were close enough for me to consider looking at. They were both 05 models i believe. Still looking.
I would be pretty happy just to find one i could test drive first!
But i'm sure the wife will like it anyway - she will spend more time in it that I will...it's hard for me to get outa my greasy F-350!

2008 Ford CC shortbed F-250 King Ranch
Vegistroke V3 with 3k miles
Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Resident wise-cracking commie-liberal democrat

I think what happens with the '05's is that because of all the TSB and recalls, people dump them back to the dealers AFTER they have done the work. Keep after an '06 model I think it's worth it.

When I get home I may let the wife drive the toyota and I will drive the libby to assess it.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, Don't give consent for that which you do not want.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Okay, going against what your saying as far as the 05 models go, this is the first one close enough for me to go look at ...5 minutes from my office. So please tell me what yall think.
Is there any way to pull a warranty report such as a Ford Oasis that tells the history of warranty issues or TSBs and recalls?

2008 Ford CC shortbed F-250 King Ranch
Vegistroke V3 with 3k miles
Old 02-13-2007, 10:58 PM

Sorry I have been away for awhile. Did you pick up that one you spoke about? You should be able to get the VIN # and look up at the servicing dealer to get a history on it.

I bought this fun vehicle for my wife. She told me this weekend that the Liberty feels a bit to rugged for her, and would like to get something different - a minivan. If you know someone who would be interested. Im really sad to see it go, the funnest vehicle I have ever drove - no kidding. :-(

I have replacement filters, the Service Manuals that the factory techs used to go along with it.

Crying In My Beer,
Jeremy
Old 02-21-2007, 01:44 PM

When Chris and Forrest did my conversion, the had a nice wooden platform built which sits on top of the tank in the cargo area (not in the pictures). I did sacrifice some cargo space, but this is my fishing truck. I get three guys in there with all of their gear for a week, and I don't feel cramped.