HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > Users Conversions
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Banned

Yesterday, at Greastock, I spoke to Daryl Beck, from Greenfield Mass. He has converted a few Liberties, putting a tank underthe car opposite the muffler. It is a 16 gallon tank and doesn't hang much lower than the exhaust.

Sounds like what I am looking for; unless sombody here has a better idea, I am going to order one in the next few weeks.

He said it was otherwise a pretty straightforward conversion, with no lift pump required. Now I just have to find a spot for the filter...
Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Liberty tank

Double-check with Daryl - when I spoke with him last week, he said if he built another one, he'd go with 14 gallons, which would eliminate the need for the steel skidplate he makes for the 16 gallon model.

Craig
Old 05-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Resident wise-cracking commie-liberal democrat

Default Spooky!!

I just took a bunch of pictures of the undercarriage of my libby and measured everything again.

14 gallons on the drivers side oppsite the muffler??

What are the dimensions?? 6X14X36???

Where is the filling tube?

Phil??
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, Don't give consent for that which you do not want.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Banned

Those are the approximate dimensions, though I thought four inches would keep it level with the muffler. I don't know, though, if four is too shallow. I'm willing to lose a bit of ground clearance, but not a lot.

Filling tube is right next to the diesel filler.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 AM

If you use the tank calculator 4 X 14 X 36 = 8.7 gallons.

14 wide is pushing it close to the drive shaft.

These pics are measuring from against the drivers side inner frame rail. As you can see, 13 inches wide is pushing it close.

Now as for the length I didn't photo it but 34-36 inches is ok.

depth:

As you can see, 4 inches will keep it tucked nicely but 6 would require a skid plate. Also, I just noticed the brake lines. take another inch off the width. 12 inches is safe.

I really want to know how he got that many gallons in that small space?!?

Here are more under car pics. I finally did the photobucket thing.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x138/dadsdiesel/
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, Don't give consent for that which you do not want.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

I can live with 6 inches, around 12 gallons and losing a bit of clearance. It's still better than giving up cargo room.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Jeep liberty CRD - kit

I'm also interested in a Frybrid Kit for my CRD.
I don't mind giving up the cargo area for the tank.
I cannot get any answers from anyone on cost of kit?
Who's beautiful CRD is posted on the Frybrid website and how do I get in touch with them?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbrlife View Post
I'm also interested in a Frybrid Kit for my CRD.
I don't mind giving up the cargo area for the tank.
I cannot get any answers from anyone on cost of kit?
Who's beautiful CRD is posted on the Frybrid website and how do I get in touch with them?
Welcome!

I think if you search for "jeep Liberty" you will get your answer. I think the owner is in Montana?

I really can't/don't want, to give up the tiny cargo space. I will most likely swap out the oem fuel tank for a split tank. one for #2 and one for VO.

At the moment, I have my hands full with my "newly acquired" '83 Benz. It will be my VO experiment car. I figure if I blow up a $400 car... it's a lesson learned. If I blow up a $25K car........ that's a spanking!

I forgot I posted those pictures. I have all but abandoned putting the tank under the car. I said I would never take the Jeep off road and just this past spring, I had it rocker panel deep in mud at a Cub Scout camp out! Then that same weekend, used it to back expensive Bass boats into the lake because the beastie rigs some guys pulled the boats there with couldn't turn in the short boat ramp area. Never say never.

C.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

I have just made a cardboard tank, 13.5 x 35.5 x 6. It has a small cutout for that thing on the driveshaft behind the transfer case. It fits so well, I may go with 7 inches deep. It will still be above the muffler.

I'm going to send it to Frybrid and see if Chris wants to make a tank. I'd drive the car a lotr more if it wasn't burning diesel.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Thumbs up

Phil,Have you considered where the hoses will come off the tank? there needs to be some room above the tank for the heat exchanger hoses. As for access, would you consider cutting the rear floorboard and make a hatch to access the heat exchanger? I had thought of doing that. I still think a split poly tank replacing the oem tank would be safer. Keep us informed!C.