HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Conversion Databases > In progress conversions
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Ready and Waiting In Alaska

I took the plunge last week ,which is a major step for me as I happen to see being cheap as a virtue. After lurking here, and every other forum imaginable, I finally purchased the kit for my 1983 MB 300SD Turbodiesel (65,357m). I am a salvager by way of being cheap, and a re cycler by necessity,so I naturally thought I would just "find" the right parts and bolt them together. I also have the luxury of working at a remote site power plant where we have our own camp, with a fryer. Aside from the obsolete parts that make their way into the scrap bin, I also take the "used" fryer oil home with me each week. The culinary staff change it out on a schedule and it tends to be in "good" condition. I take it to my processing area, where I let it settle for a couple of weeks and then skim from the top down through a simple, hand built screen filter/strainer. I took a 2 1/2 inch brass strainer, and placed more screen material (5 mic.), and then swapped the in/out/clean-out flanges to make a filter out of it. I filter from the collection drum back into the 5 gal. "cubies" and take them home as "luggage". Seeing as how my commutes are only four times a month and 54 miles one-way this set-up seems that it will work. I also have just purchased a used 40 gal electric water heater and will be assembling a still when I get home. This still will act as my dewatering device as well as my "day" tank for my home heating project. I am currently converting a Beckett AF/Well McLain boiler to burn WVO, with help from the great people at altfuelfurnace.org. With the car, boiler, battery bank, and solar panels (future), I hope to reduce my carbon footprint but more important to me, reduce my monthly fuel expenditure. (still waiting for a diesel powered snowmobile) Having said all that, the reason I went with the Frybrid kit is; it appears to be of high quality and engineered well. Additionally, I have read more logical praises then jeers regarding this product and hope to be a long time customer of Frybrid and Mr.Goodwin. Already, with my hype and promotion, a co-worker bought the exact same car as mine and is waiting to see the final product, before he purchases and sends sit over to my garage. We have already begun collecting parts for his boiler. Of course, as I progress I will upload photos of all WVO related projects.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 AM

Default And waiting........

Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 PM

Talking Waiting no more.

After contacting DHL to confirm shipment and get my tracking number, they have confirmed that my kit is being delivered today. I can hardly wait for my shift to be over. Additionally, I "shopped victoriously" and succesfully bid on these humdingers today, next week shall be busy fo' sure. Just need to pick up a 50gal. water heater, Kagi retention head and some other odd items, and I'll be burnin' the right way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2b83_1.JPG (12.6 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg 4a1e_1.JPG (12.3 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg 76504565_tp.jpg (52.2 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg f37f_1_b.JPG (19.7 KB, 388 views)
Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Just Like Christmas

Minus the cookie thieving obese elf....
Just got my kit, has been at the couriers for a few days, superior craftsmanship, excellent choice of accessories, clamps, wires and the such. Clear, organized packaging and packing slip, and lotsa' shiny brass and aluminum stuff. Diving in head first, will come up for coffee and pictures later. Thanks Chris.

2005 Ford F250 SD 6.0 TD Vegistroke V3 Kit

Beckett AFG/ Well McLain, C. Keppner WVO Conversion
Old 11-05-2007, 10:07 AM

Thumbs up First Round

After a few attempts here and there this weekend, I have made some progress, man was it hard to cut into this thing. The second image shows preliminary fitting, sans bracket. I like the idea of placing the heated filter into the coils of the HE, of course leaving enough hose slack to remove it from it's nest for servicing. The third image shows the first cut, just in front and to the right of the spare. From under the car the HIH crosses from the drivers side to the passengers side along the subframe cross tube, into the spare tire carrier compartment. The fourth image shows the second cut , from the spare tire carrier area into the "sandbag" trough (that's what I use it for anyway) where it will make a nice easy loop up to the in-tank HE. I used the red 3/4' hose just for contrast for the images. Any critique is welcome. More images to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre-op.jpg (66.5 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg Fitting.jpg (63.5 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg First Cut.jpg (59.1 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg Second Cut.jpg (58.5 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg Routing.jpg (62.1 KB, 416 views)

Old 11-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Round Two

Moving slow today, fighting off first winter cold symptoms in a couple years. Followed instruction sheet step-by-step. Planned routing, removed routed hoses, installed aluminum fuel lines re-rout...re-route....correction: pulled, snaked, cursed, cried, laughed maniacally, invented new combinations of curses, (none of witch are wiki'd, already checked) spoke in tongues and finally got both HIH combinations routed from front to back. So let's re-cap; hours "spent" 3.5, calories burned rising from roller/creeper to standing and back again 9000+/-,
new curse phrases invented 7, promises of being good to a higher power if only...3, times sanity questioned 4, cups of coffee 2, smiles after knowing that phase is done, one big ear to ear ... images to follow. Now that I'm out from under the car it's cocktail time.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Round Three

Ok here are some more images showing finallized routing and securing, definately considering a protective skid plate/trough for exposed HIH lines directly under the unibody. The HIH exits the tank then down and through the trough wall, into the spare carrier, out and left to the unibody cross bar, then between the cross bar and the anti-sway bar, over the drive-axle (the rigidity of the clamp mounts fore and aft of the run that goes over the axle, coupled with the rigidity of the aluminum inner line, holds the two 5/8 rubber HIH lines up and clear of the axle, I didn't want to penetrate this are for a clamp as the main fuel tank lives in above this area) then the two HIH are sunggly fit between the subframe and unibody floor pan (a tight fit but i don't foresee this being a high abrasion zone), from here both HIH are pulled down through the body to subframe mounting bracket (note the rubber hose trick on one side and 1/4" rubber buffer on the other, protecting the HIH lines from abrasion, vibration. then forward to the engine compartment rising up between the oil filter canister and power steering gearbox. Then the lines are wire tied off in the engine compartment, till next week. I layed both preped lines under the car and just pulled the aft portions through the mess of the rear suspension, and the remaining foreward portions through the engine compartment so as not to have to pull all 25' of HIH through every tight spot. Obvious right? More next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM001222.JPG (119.7 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg IM001223.JPG (87.2 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg IM001224.JPG (87.5 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg IM001225.JPG (69.5 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg IM001226.JPG (54.6 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg IM001227.JPG (72.6 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg IM001228.JPG (65.8 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg IM001229.JPG (90.1 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg IM001231.JPG (59.8 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IM001232.JPG (128.6 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg IM001233.JPG (123.1 KB, 408 views)

Old 11-11-2007, 04:36 PM

Lightbulb Control Panel

So, with the guage, button , switch and lights that came with the kit, one is tasked with finding a sano install area. I liked what I had seen before, using the coin tray area, or incorporating it into the instrument cluster utilizing unused light ports and factory clock holes. I wanted something different. I wanted to put the whole kit into my ash tray and have it slide out of the way and be hidden 007 style. The guage is small by guage standards but was too deep to do what i wanted. I looked for a LED bar level guage but could not find one yet. So until then I will improvise. Hopefully these images will be somewhat self explanatory. To get all the switches and the single guage to fit, one must adhere to the angle of the bracket shown as well as pay close attention to the placemnts of each component. If you are off in any dimension the parts will interfere either when fully open or when closing. I cut the guage in half using a lathe and parting tool, and turning the chuck by hand. If trying this, be careful as there is an important silver thingy in the guage that is close to the outer wall of the guage. I also had to cut the ground post and pull out the signal and 12 volt post and bend them to the side to get cleareance. I'll show images of the complete unit next post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM001237.JPG (118.7 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IM001238.JPG (123.4 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg IM001239.JPG (86.8 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg IM001240.JPG (115.4 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg IM001241.JPG (91.7 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg IM001243.JPG (139.9 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg IM001244.JPG (58.0 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IM001245.JPG (80.1 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg IM001246.JPG (63.8 KB, 345 views)

Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Success

Well, after waiting in vain for the third valve to show up, I returned to the install. I took my time in "cutting" in the coolant, fuel and elecrical in three seperate phases. First I plumbed, primed and bled the coolant loop, and once I was sure that everything was getting to temperature (also used the ignition on, aux. coolant pump mod,) I then hardwired the controller, I placed the controller on the forward passenger footwell/firewall. My car has a plastic compartmented plate that the controller and wires will fit under. More room for other James Bond gadgets under there as well. After that was done I was able to start on diesel. After the idle satbilized i switched to the VO system (using dyed diesel) and successfully ran......... for three minutes.... until I had sucked my VO filter dry. Turns out my filter head was not labeled in and out and I had it plumbed incorrectly. Only took a half hour of forum searching to find the answer to this one. So got that hooked right and off we go again, this time it continued to run, so I drained the tank of dyed diesel and replaced it with SVO. Started it up again and switched over ot VO. The engine gradually became eerily quiet, so with thoughts of my crankcase being filled wi9th either coolant or VO pushed the emergency stop lever attempting to avoid a disaster that never was. Turns out, as some of you know, VO has less BTU, so less bang, crackle, click and pop. The motor just purrs on VO, nice smooth accleration, no more power spikes, sounds like a gasser engine to the uninformed. This alone has much cool factor for me. These tests were perforemd with the trunck of my car sticking out the garage and on the highway at app. 17*F. But the last two days it has been -15 below 0 here and I could not get it to switch over. I obviously need to insulate more. Sweet!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 AM

Here a few new images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM001634.jpg (60.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IM001635.jpg (55.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IM001636.JPG (48.1 KB, 167 views)