HOME PRODUCTS FORUM RESOURCES KIT COMPARISON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
GALLERY HISTORY VO THEORY SYSTEM MEDIA CONTACT  

Go Back   Forums > Vegetable Oil Forum > General discussion
Register User's Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Free online Mechanical Aptitude test

50 questions, no time limit, and it's fun.

I got a 96. Give it a shot:

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php
Old 10-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Administrator

I got as far as reading "FORD" at the top of the page and lost interest ;-)

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
-Helen Keller

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
-HAL9000

Old 10-13-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8Darryl View Post
50 questions, no time limit, and it's fun.

I got a 96. Give it a shot:

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/quizze...alAptitude.php
I only got 90, but question some of the questions. Not being able to see which ones I missed does not help, tho. On some of them, I felt like, "it depends". Oh, well, I still passed, lol

Timid men prefer the calm of Despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson

1985 Mercedes Benz 300SD Turbo Diesel - Frybrid (Thanks Chris for a great product, and JeffNLisa for a great Install)
Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 PM

there's an option to go back and review your score. it's an odd selection of questions to ask a diesel mechanic though.

i got an 88, for disclosure's sake.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:46 PM

If you press the show/hide TOC button at the bottom left, it shows the list of questions as you complete them, and you get a check mark for a right answer and an X for a wrong one.

98% - Stupid fans facing each other screwed me up
Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 PM

My ADD got me through 10 gear questions before I got bored, though the TOC thingie showed I already had 2 wrong. But hey, I'm an electrical engineer. When it comes to mechanical stuff, I still say righty tighty, lefty loosey out loud.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Three of the questions are incorrect. I wrote them an e-mail:

Three of the questions on your test have incorrect or multiple answers:

31 Since you don't clarify that the center of gravity of either box is off-center, we have to assume that they're homogenous, and thus the center of gravity is in the center of each box. The left weight is CENTERED 1 unit from the fulcrum. The right weight is CENTERED 5 units from the fulcrum. The ratio is 5 to 1, the correct answer would be 60 kg. Not a choice.

47 The weights would indeed move outwards. Whether they move up or down would depend upon which part of the assembly is held vertically fixed. The answer you gave implies that the shaft is fixed vertically. But what if the hub is fixed? The balls would not move vertically; they would only move outward, and the shaft would move downward.

48 Both B and C are correct. Atmospheric pressure does indeed "push" the air into the cylinder, but only because the piston going down creates a pressure lower than atmospheric, aka a "suction."
Old 10-14-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
48 Both B and C are correct. Atmospheric pressure does indeed "push" the air into the cylinder, but only because the piston going down creates a pressure lower than atmospheric, aka a "suction."
[I borrowed this explination]
We were taught there is no such thing as suction...it is just a lower pressure than the atmosphere. The piston didn't create a 'suction', it created a lower than atmosphere pressure, hence the atmosphere forces its way in. Thats why you can never achieve 100% volumetric efficiency with a normally aspirated engine...the atmosphere can never quite catch up with the piston on its downstroke.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8Darryl View Post
[I borrowed this explination]
We were taught there is no such thing as suction...it is just a lower pressure than the atmosphere. The piston didn't create a 'suction', it created a lower than atmosphere pressure, hence the atmosphere forces its way in.
True. But semantics.

"Suction" is just the colloquial for "lower than (ambient) pressure."

Air enters the cylinder because the piston creates a lower pressure AND the ambient pressure was higher. You need both for it to work.

At higher altitudes, where ambient pressure is less, less air molecules enter the cylinder than at sea level. Not because the piston is doing anything different, (i.e. the "suction" is the same) but because there is less ambient pressure.

But OK, I'll concede that one to them.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:29 PM

I didn't read #10, the planetary gear train carefully enough. I know the difference between rotate and revolve, but what exactly is 'turning'? I agree with Clipper on the 3 questions he criticizes - I guessed right on two of them and chose the answer closest to his suggested 60kg for my second mistake. Guess I should go back to designing machinery...